DUE OCTOBER 2, 2020 by 5:00PM EASTERN TIME
In the Foundations of Public Administration course, we discussed many concepts ranging from ethics to organizational behavior to public financial management. For this Final Exam, read the attached case study. Another Cheating Scandal Case-1.pdf (see attachment)
Address the following questions:
· Discuss the unethical activity. Was there a failure in accountability? Explain.
· What impact did the political and cultural environment have on the decisions of those involved in the wrongdoing throughout the Escambia County School system?
· What role did group dynamics play in the case study? (informal or formal groups)
· Discuss the role of leadership throughout the case study.
· Discuss the failure in public personnel management, specifically addressing performance appraisal and pay for performance issues.
· Identify intergovernmental relations throughout the case study. Did this have any impact on the wrongdoing that occurred?
· Discuss the importance of a program audit and evaluation in preventing and addressing the crisis at hand.1
This case was written by Terry Anderson Ph.D. Associate Professor at the Masters of Public Administration from Troy University.
The case is intended solely as a vehicle for classroom discussion, and is not intended to illustrate either effective or ineffective
handling of the situation described.
The Electronic Hallway is administered by the University of Washington’s Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs. This
material may not be altered or copied without written permission from The Electronic Hallway. For permission, email
firstname.lastname@example.org. Electronic Hallway members are granted copy permission for educational purposes per Member’s
Copyright 2015 The Electronic Hallway
ANOTHER CHEATING SCANDAL—BUT THIS TIME IT’S NOT THE STUDENTS
In March 2015, Newpoint High School, one of the high-performing charter schools in
Escambia County, Florida, suddenly found itself at the heart of a real scandal when the School
District announced publically that it appeared there was a possibility that school administrators
had pressured teachers to falsify attendance records, delete overdue assignments, give answers to
tests, and change grades in order to ensure that Newpoint seniors would advance to graduation.
And the suggestion was that this was only the tip of the iceberg. The Escambia County
Superintendent of Schools revealed that his office had launched an investigation into the matter.
Some Newpoint High School teachers, pressured to change the grades of seniors, were livid,
while others reacted by breaking down in tears. Cheating? This was not who they were or
wanted to be. They had feared losing their jobs if they did not comply with school
administrators and/or losing their teacher certificates if authorities found out.
As bad as the story sounded upon first being made public, it soon became much worse as
allegations ranging from simple demonstrations of poor judgment to possible criminal acts began
to surface. Questions quickly emerged concerning just what kind of school Newpoint was and
how such activities could have escaped the notice of elected officials and local bureaucrats in the
county school administrative office. It seemed to be a case of “Who is minding the store?”
The Newpoint Organization
A series of local newspaper articles soon revealed that Pensacola Newpoint schools were
a part of an Education Services Provider, Newpoint Education Partners, (NEP), a for-profit
Florida corporation formed in 2008. On its website, Newpoint states its Executive has
“collectively led the development and launch of over 75 schools and is keenly aware of the
financial and support resources necessary to facilitate the startup of a new school or the takeover
and continuation of an existing school” (www.newpointeducation.com). The Escambia County
School District’s charter school agreements for the Pensacola Newpoint school
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.