PARAGRAPH 1 (100 words) – An introductory paragraph
Clearly and concisely states the paper’s purpose, which is engaging, and thought
provoking. Your introductory paragraph should answer these two questions: 1) What is
the nature of the work (type, purpose) and what is the primary message(s) of this work?
2) What problems is the author trying to solve and what are the primary issues that the
author is addressing?
Analyze the following disciplines and their role in discovering that a meteor hitting the earth may have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs as featured in the article.
PARAGRAPH 2 (100 words) – Dr. Luis Alvarez is a physicist. Physics,
geology, and chemistry all played an important role in discovering that a
meteor colliding with the earth, may have caused the extinction of the
dinosaurs. What role did physics play in making that discovery?
PARAGRAPH 3 (100 words) – Dr. Walter Alvarez is a geologist. Physics,
geology, and chemistry all played an important role in discovering that a meteor
colliding with the earth, may have caused the extinction of the dinosaurs. What
role did geology play in making that discovery?
PARAGRAPH 4 (100 words) – Drs. Frank Asaro and Helen Vaughn Michel are
chemists. Physics, geology, and chemistry all played an important role in
discovering that a meteor colliding with the earth, may have caused the
extinction of the dinosaurs. What role did chemistry play in making that
WRITING TIP: Do NOT write a summary or “book report” of the article. That is NOT the purpose of a
critical analysis essay.College of Liberal Studies
University of Oklahoma
LSTD 3003 – Interdisciplinary Inquiry
Interdisciplinary Natural Sciences Analysis Essay
What killed the dinosaurs?
Paleontology is the science of the forms of life existing in former geologic periods, as
represented by their fossils. Ever since paleontology came into being scientists have been asking
the question, what killed the dinosaurs? How did they go extinct?
One of the great stories in the history of interdisciplinary exploration and discovery is that of Dr.
Luis Alvarez and his theory that a six mile wide asteroid crashed into the earth 65 million years
ago and wiped out the dinosaurs (almost overnight in geologic time). In the June 6, 1980 edition
of Science magazine, Dr. Alvarez, along with a team of researchers (his son geologist Walter
Alvarez and chemists Frank Asaro and Helen Vaughn Michel) published the article
Extraterrestrial Cause for the Cretaceous–Tertiary Extinction, which they felt proved this
theory. This article revolutionized the way that scientists thought about the dinosaur extinction
What follows is that very article (Extraterrestrial Cause for the Cretaceous–Tertiary Extinction)
that started it all. Please read it carefully. Pay close attention to the role theses disciplines played
in creating this new knowledge (physics, geology, chemistry, astronomy, paleontology) as you
will be asked to write your interdisciplinary essay over this article. As you read please be
observant of a couple of important things. First, you may find parts of it difficult to follow. This
is a good example of how scholars talk to each other. His audience is fellow paleontologists so
try to think of yourself as a person in that profession as you read. Second, notice the citations
throughout the paper and the list of references at the end. The reason we are asking you to do the
“research and documentation” assignments in each unit is because proper documentation is a
must in academic research. Notice the priority Dr. Alvarez gives it throughout the paper.
We now present Doctors Luis Alvarez, Walter Alvarez, Frank Asaro, and Helen Vaughn Michel.
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.